Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Flexibility In Your Fitness Program


You warmed your body up, preparing it for the work ahead.  You took on the grueling meat of the workout, rising to the challenge.  At the end, you rewarded yourself with a well-deserved cool down.  Think you’re done?  Not so fast.  Make some time for a quick stretch.  With exercise, aerobic or strength training, your muscles contract and flex, making regular stretching a valuable part of any exercise program. Just a few of the benefits of stretching include:
  •          Increased flexibility.
  •          Improved range of motion of your joints.
  •          Improved circulation and increased blood flow to your muscles.
  •          Stress relief.
  •          Possible prevention of athletic injuries.

Flexibility exercises should include stretching for all of the major muscle groups.  Proper stretching involves holding a mild stretch for 15 to 30 seconds while you breathe normally.  To avoid injury, muscles should be warm before you stretch.  You should also never bounce through a stretch.    

Experts are at odds whether stretching should be done at the beginning of the workout, right after the warm-up.  Some feel stretching can also be incorporated throughout your workout, once you are done exercising a particular muscle group.  Do you remember to include stretching into your exercise program?  How do you incorporate flexibility training into your program?  

7 comments:

  1. From my experience stretching is good before and after your main program. When I would forget one or the other I would wake up in the middle of the night with a charlie horse and those of you who have had one of these pains know what I'm talking about. So i guess its just a matter of what works for your body because everyone is different.This post is helpful, because I know people who do not believe in stretching at all so maybe I'll show them your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something that I'm quite lazy about, I sometimes forget to stretch but I do like Stephanie's stretch section on her Ultimate Body dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine,

    Thank you for weighing in on the importance of stretching.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I find it easier to incorporate stretching when strength training - as I like to do it after I am done exercising a particular muscle group. After a cardio routine, I find myself tempted to skip the stretch. I'll have to check out Stephanie's workouts. Thanks.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! I am always looking for fellow fitness bloggers:D I am excited to read more - especially more from the exercise angle.
    http://whileiamweighting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mechelle,

    I stopped by your blog (and am now following) it is very motivating and encouraging. I too love finding fellow fitness bloggers. Next week I will be focusing a little more on nutrition but then plan to get back to exercise and fitness. Hope you stick around!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to do more flexibilty training!!!! great post.

    ReplyDelete