Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Nutrition 101: The Basics


The first step in achieving a healthy relationship with food is to arm oneself with knowledge.  The absence of sound nutrition knowledge can result in poor eating habits, which can contribute to low energy stores, an incomplete fitness program and poor exercise results.  Nutrition is the study of food and how our bodies use food as fuel for growth and daily activities. The macronutrients, or major nutrients include proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. The micronutrients, or minor nutrients, are the vitamins and minerals that we need to be healthy.  Mastering the nutrition basics comes down to understanding the roles of carbohydrates, fat, and protein in a healthy diet.

The foods you eat supply the energy your body needs to perform on a daily basis. Just like you need to put the proper fuel in your car, your body needs to be fed energy-providing foods every day. The main form of energy your body requires is carbohydrates. 

Protein is essential in your diet because it represents the building blocks for your muscles.  Protein in your food is broken down and used by your body to build and repair your muscles.  Your body also needs protein for components of your immune system, hormones, nervous system, and organs.

Your body also requires fats in your diet to be healthy. Fats make up part of all body cells, help us maintain body temperature, and even delay hunger pangs.  It aids the body in absorbing fat-soluble vitamins. Fat also cushions the body’s organs from injury and provides energy stores.

Do you follow a sound nutrition plan?  Do you find yourself avoiding certain nutrients (fat, protein or carbohydrates) because a fad diet tells you they are “bad”?

4 comments:

  1. I try and follow a clean eating diet and cook most of my meals from scratch. I like using fresh wholesome ingredients. I like using the recipes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazines because I find the emphasis in these magazines is on non processed foods. I don't avoid carbs, proteins or fats but I do try to incorporate some protein into all of my meals. I've been playing around a bit with protein in the past few days and I'm having a protein shake every day ( I use a brand which just has whey protein as its ingredients so I think it's a clean food).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had done the Adkins diet several years ago. I found it boring and unrealistic to live on. I did lose some weight but I didn't feel very good. I need carbs. I limit the amount of processed food and when I have a brownie it's made from scratch not a box mix. I want to know what I'm eating.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    I will have to pick up a copy of Martha Stewart's magazine, I am always looking for great healthy recipes. Thanks!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debra,

    I think any diet that tries to completely eliminate certain foods or nutrients would be very difficult to follow long term. That's why for me the best approach has always been a little of everything in moderation.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete