Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

There is No Such Thing as a Free Lunch


Ahhh, food.  The bane of my existence; I love food; I hate food; I love to hate food; I hate to love food.  Who hasn’t been obsessed with food at some point?  My life seems to have always revolved around food.  When planning events or vacations, it is always about which restaurants are nearby, who has the best entrees, what is on the dessert menu.  And what could be better than food?  Free food, of course!  The vendor lunches, the corporate dinners, birthday lunches, Christmas parties, summer picnics – all on someone else’s dime.  Free, no cost to me, nada, zilch, zip, zero.  Or is there? 

Is it really free if I then turn around and pay a personal trainer to help me shed the pounds?  Or spend money on Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or similar weight loss program to help me lose the weight?  Is it at no cost if I am beating myself up for over-indulging?  Or if I am paying for it later because I feel sluggish, tired or bloated?  Is it in fact free when I look in the mirror and am not happy with what I see?



Now I am not saying you need to start declining lunch engagements or to no longer attend events that involve food.  It is time to learn to make smart choices when eating out.  You can continue to go out to those corporate dinners and vendor lunches but eat wisely; make healthy choices.  I even believe it is possible to indulge from time to time; all things are good in moderation.  It is time to have a healthy relationship with food.

Have you found yourself obsessing over food?  What strategies have you used to come to peace with food?

5 comments:

  1. I try and eat whole foods and eat very little processed foods. I feel healthier for doing so but I find it can be difficult to eat this way at work. I do believe that whenever I stick to eating non processed foods, I can eat pretty much what I like and still stay in shape. When I go out for food with friends, I try and stick to eating grilled chicken and add a side order of veggies. I would never deny myself food or miss out on an occassion, I like to have a glass of wine or two out with friends as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! I try to avoid processed foods, I just feel gross after I eat them. It makes it not worth eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan and Lindsay,

    I am happy to see that you both know how to make wise choices and have a sound relationship with food.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is so true, I don't know what it is about the thought of free food that just turns everyone into eating machines lol. I mean everyone who has attended these meetings including myself over eats and I have to say I do feel worse when I go back to work. I have to say this will be hard for me to learn not to do when there is a meeting, but I will try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you Jasmine. It is difficult when all that tempting food is laid out before you. It is worthwhile to take a step back, think and consciously make a choice about what you are about to eat. Are you wating because you are hungry or just because it is there? Will you feel better or worse after eating what is there? Like you said, it might be difficult to learn but if you are happier and healthier for it in the long run, that is what matters.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete