Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

The Macronutrients: A Three Part Series – Protein


While carbohydrates are the body’s major source of fuel, protein serves an equally important role in a healthy diet.  Protein is the essential building block for building and repairing body tissue.  Every cell in the body is partially composed of proteins.  Muscle needs protein to help grow and rebuild after an intense workout.  Without enough protein in your diet muscle growth can not occur.  Most experts recommend that your protein intake be somewhere between 15 and 30%. 

Proteins are made up of amino acids – these are the building blocks of protein - which are combined together in a variety of ways.  There are 20 naturally occurring amino acids. The body can manufacture most of them; however, there are eight essential amino acids that can only be provided through a proper diet. 

Protein can be found in both animal and plant food sources.  When choosing protein-rich foods, be aware of what comes along with the protein because some protein sources are also high in saturated fats.  The best animal protein choices are fish and poultry. If you enjoy red meat, it is best to stick to the leanest cuts, choose moderate portion sizes, and make it only an occasional part of your diet.  Vegetable sources of protein, such as beans, nuts, and whole grains, are excellent choices, and they offer healthy fiber, vitamins and minerals. 

4 comments:

  1. HI Maria,

    Just curious, do you ever use protein shakes? I bought protein powder last weekend and have had a shake every day since. Just experimenting with having the extra protein at the moment. Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    I used to in the past. Over the last three years I have either been pregnant or breastfeeding so I haven't been taking any supplements. I am currently in a P90X rotation and will be starting Cathe's STS shortly and I feel I need the extra protein. I plan on researching some protein powders on the market, I hear good things about Jay Robb protein powders, I used EAS Myoplex in the past. WHich brand of whey protein have you been using?

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Maria,

    Let me know how you get on with the P90X, I hear it's tough. I use whey protein from www.pulsin.co.uk. I like it because the only ingredients are whey protein isolate and soya lecithin(trace). I'm not sure if you can get it in the States. I'll look up Jay Robb proteins online.
    Thank you
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should you only use protein shakes if you don't get enough protein in your regular diet?

    ReplyDelete